Let's 'stay sharp' in Kamloops South Thompson ...

... elect Peter Sharp BC Conservative MLA


Monday 11 March 2013

PETER SHARP; "I'm still not an expert, but I'm willing to learn"

As many of you may have noted from posts I made to social media over the weekend, I attended Sunday's forum, put on by the Kamloops Mothers for Clean Air, which was held in the Parkside Lounge at Interior Savings Centre.  

Along with myself, there were about 300 plus people attending, ready to hear what the two guest speakers from Salt Lake City, Utah had to say.  


Speakers Cherise Udell and Dr. Brain Moench
They both provided a Power Point presentation, and spoke well, explaining their position - and objections - to the Rio Tinto Mine located in the area of their city.  This then led to a discussion of the reasons why residents of Kamloops should not have a mine near the City of Kamloops.  

Dr. Brian Moench told us all that he had suffered with two bouts of cancer, his wife had cancer and his daughter had a double mastectomy.  You couldn't help but feel sorry for his situation. 

What I am about to say now, in no way negates anything he had to say, however I (and perhaps others) did wonder about one thing in particular after he spoke; why he hasn't yet moved away from the area, with all the health issues that he and his family have suffered.  I don't recall him saying whether or not his families health problems, were a result of the mine location near his home.  

That said, he had a lot of information for us, and he came across very professional, and very qualified.

The founder of Utah Moms for Clean Air, Cherise Udell, clearly indicated to the audience that she gave no quarter to the Rio Tinto mining company near, or next to, the Salt Lake.  She started Moms for Clean Air five years ago because of an absolute need to promote healthy air quality for children, seniors, and the sick.

This Friday I'll be meeting with officials from AJAX Mine, where I'll have the opportunity to learn more about their proposal for Kamloops.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm glad I attended Sunday's forum, which was hosted by the former Editor of the Kamloops Daily News and the former Mayor of the City of Kamloops, Mel Rothenberger.  

It definitely gave me another perspective on the Ajax Mine proposal for Kamloops, and a lot more information to consider.  One things for sure, I'm still not an expert, but I'm willing to learn. 

Let's 'stay sharp' Kamloops!

I'm Peter Sharp -- I'm a BC Conservative -- and I BELIEVE in BC!

No comments:

Post a Comment